Thursday, June 27, 2013

Book Review: Time and Again by Deborah Heal

Purchase HERE

What I liked . . . 
  • Let me start by saying that Deborah Heal really knows how to "hook" a reader! This book seemed to contain more "hooks" then I have ever experienced while reading. I realized quickly that this could have been overdone, but in my opinion - it wasn't. 
  • There were so many layers to the story that could have been easily overdone, but (again) in my opinion - they weren't. 
  • There were nuggets of truth and great mini-lessons for the reader throughout the story.
  • If you like history, you will enjoy reading this book. If you like contemporary fiction, you will enjoy reading this book. I found it intriguing to observe how smoothly she connected the contemporary story with the historical.  
  • I greatly appreciated the notes from the Author at the end of the book, which she indicated as recommended reading before diving into book 2 in the series! She shared some interesting historical background!
  • Every once in awhile I would think, Aha! I caught her. She missed this . . . Now I have something to point out in my book review! Oh wait, she just read my mind and had the characters answer my question . . . again . . . Touché!
  • However, I did catch something that made me grin from ear to ear! "We lock onto her and go with." Do you notice anything funny about the way that sentence ends? I had to wonder if that was done on purpose or by accident. Let me know in the comment area if you caught what I'm referring to. :-)
  • Even though this book was hard to categorize (age group of readers), I thought it would easily fit in the young adult category, however it is a great fit for any age reader. I would recommend this for older teenagers, young adults, teachers/tutors, and those who love suspense, time travel and history.  
  • Overall, I enjoyed the concept of the story. I love history and especially the way it came alive for the main characters, Abby & Merredith.
Side note: I went into the story without reading any detailed descriptions or other reviews of this book. I prefer to approach books this way, especially when I am planning on sharing a review of it on here. And, I'm particularly glad I did that with this one.

What I didn't like . . .
  • The ending . . . I know by now that Deborah loves "hooking" the reader . . . . and that couldn't have been any clearer than at the end of the book! My note in my Kindle was literally, "The end???????" There is no question in my mind about wanting to read the second book in the series, Unclaimed Legacy.
  • In all seriousness, there was just one or two spots for me where the spiritual lesson seemed a little disjointed with how it was approached and I found myself wishing that the spiritual concept being presented would have been explained a little better to the character (and for the sake of the readers). 

And finally, I have question for the author . . . Deborah, may I please have what Merrideth had on her computer?? I'm definitely jealous! ;-)  

The series: 


START the series. Purchase "Time and Again" HERE.

CONNECT WITH DEBORAH HEAL:

Disclaimer: I requested this book through Body and Soul Publishing and the author provided a copy of each book in the series in return for a fair and honest review. 


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the thoughtful review. I hope you'll read Time and Again (book 2) to find out more about Merri's spiritual adventures and growth (and Abby and John's). I must have done a better job presenting the message in book two as I've had several reviews by annoyed readers who are appalled at the "preachiness" of it. I'm so pleased.

    I'm sorry to say that I am unable to make available the information you seek concerning the Beautiful House software on Merrideth's computer. There's a nasty bit of intrigue in Every Hill and Mountain (book 3)that will illustrate perfectly why I am cautious about allowing details of the program to be made public. I trust you understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah:

      You are most welcome! I am definitely looking forward to reading book two. I thought about waiting till I read all 3 to post my review, but I thought it would be more fun this way! :-) As far as doing a better job "presenting the message" - I thought it was good, I just personally wanted more. You're never going to please everybody, right? :-)

      I love your answer regarding the software on Merrideth's computer! haha. Now I definitely have to read the whole series! :-)

      Delete
  2. Ah! You caught that bit of Chicago colloquialism, did you? No matter how silly I may think it is to leave off the person with whom one is going, lots of folks find this perfectly normal speech.

    Both Merrideth and Abby have connections to the State of Chicago and use that expression often. But, horrors! Please don't think I'd ever say such a thing! (And neither would my fellow citizens from the State of Southern Illinois.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I caught that because it was an expression I had to get used to while living near Reading, PA for one year and it drove me nuts! I always wanted to grab the person and ask them, "with who, what, when, where and why?" :-)

      Delete